Friday, January 2, 2009

Cancer sucks

When I found out my Father was diagnosed with lung cancer and that it was inoperable and he only had a short while to live I was more than devestated. To find out someone you have spent your entire life around only will be in your life for a short while on longer feel slike a cruel joke. I had selfish thoughts of how he would never see me graduate from college, have a child or walk me down the aisle at my wedding. I was angry, hurt and confused. I aksed myself all the way up until his funeral how such a good man who only cared about caring for his family could be forced to suffer and be slowly taken away from this Earth. All the while was I and other close relatives fell into a pity of sorrow and mourning for a loss we hadn't even experienced yet, he continued to lead life. It wasn't until havimg a conversation with him, when he told me, "Baby, life still goes on, past this, life doesnt stop." After hearing how calm and and unafraid he was, I was able to just live life with him. We never knew how long we had left to spend with him ,which turned out to be seventeen months after his diagnosis, but we didnt focus on that anymore. I stopped focusing on quantity of time and more on quality. I had more fun with my dad and enjoyed him after that point than I had ever had with him before and that made me go from a dark pit of sorrow to happiness to make each day even more full of memories than the day before.

No comments: